Unified Social Credit Code (or “统一社会信用代码” ）can also be called Legal Persons and Other Organizations Unified Social Credit Code (or “法人和其他一切组织统一社会信用代码“). Since 2015, Chinese authorities combined the business registration number, organization code, and tax registration certificate number, and make them into one Unified Social Credit Code. It is the “ID number” of companies in China, which is an important reform measure to promote the establishment of China’s Social Credit System. In this article, I will show you what the Unified Social Credit Code is for, and what you can do when you get the Unified Social Credit Code of a Chinese company.
Why the Chinese government establishes the system of Unified Social Credit Code
1. Data sharing. It is useful to break the barrier of ” information of isolated island” and to realize information sharing and utilization. By searching the Unified Social Credit Code, you can get comprehensive information about a company, such as its taxation, administrative punishment, and so on.
2. Improved efficiency. It is helpful to improve administrative efficiency and reducing social costs. The unified Social Credit Code can replace multiple verification and approvals with one-stop handling, simplifying formalities.
3. Accelerate the development of China’s Social Credit System. The unified Social Credit Code is conducive to the collection and integration of credit records scattered in various regions, departments, and fields under the same one to form a complete and unified credit profile.
4. Strengthening government supervision. The Unified Social Credit Code system can also help to promote information sharing among all regions and departments. And the formation of big data resources can improve governmental supervision on market.
Since 2015, when the China National Standards Commission issued“ the Standard for The Coding Rules for Legal Persons and Other Organizations”, now almost all companies and organizations have their own Unified Social Credit Code.
Characteristics of the Unified Social Credit Code
The Unified Social Credit Code is made up of 18 numbers, and the 18 numbers can be divided into 5 parts representing different meanings.
Following is a picture of the Unified Social Credit Code
Here, we can see that the Unified Social Credit Code of the company is 912345678912345678.
1. The first digit ( here is “9” ) means the name of the registration administration department. For example, “9” here represents the Bureau of Industry and Commerce.
2. The second digit (here is “1”) represents the organization category. For example, the Bureau of Industry and Commerce tends to use “1” to represent the enterprise, “2” to represent the individual proprietor.
3. The third digit to the eighth digit （here is “234567”) shows the location of the registration and administration authority. Among the 6 digits, the first and second digits (here is “2” and “3” ) represent the province, the third and fourth digits (here is “4” and “5”) represents the city, and the last two digits (here is “6” and “7”) represents the county.
4. The ninth digit to the seventeenth digit (here is “891234567”) represents the organizing institution bar code.
5. The last digit ( here is “8”) is the verification code.
How to find the Unified Social Credit Code of a Chinese Company and What the Function Is
You can ask the company to provide the business license and you can find the Unified Social Credit Code from it. Just look for the Chinese characters “统一社会信用代码” on any Chinese business license like the following pictures:
Here “统一社会信用代码“ means the Unified Social Credit Code. And the following 18 digits are the number you need.
With the Unified Social Credit Code, you can get the information of a company, such as business scope, scale, taxation, administrative punishments, and so on. Also, you can check whether the company operates abnormally or has been listed as a dishonest enterprise with the code.
Steps of Searching a Chinese Company’s Information with its Unified Social Credit Code
1. Click the following link.http://www.gsxt.gov.cn/index.html. It is the home page of the National Enterprise Credit Information Publicity System.
2. Input the Unified Social Credit Code of the company.
3. Click the search ( or “查询“）button on the right.
4. Click the company’s name.
5. Enter the detailed information page of the company.
Here you can get the information of the business license and the Capital Construction including:
1. Company Name ( or “企业名称”)
2. Commercial Registration No. (or “注册号”)
3. Unified Social Credit Code ( or”统一社会信用代码”）
4. Legal Representative (or “法定代表人”）
5. Registered Capital (or “注册资本”）
6. Type of Enterprise (or “类型”）
7. Operating Status (or “登记状态”)
8. Date of Establishment (or “成立日期”）
9. Date of Latest Check by Authority (or “核准日期”）
10. Registration Authority (or “登记机关”）
11. Scope of business (or “经营范围”）
12. Term of Operation ( or from”经营期限自” to “经营期限至”)
13. Address (or “住所”)
For further information, you can click the “点击或下拉加载更多信息” button.
If you are having trouble reading the information on this page, you can use Google translator to help you.
The establishment of the system of Unified Social Credit Code helps improve the efficiency in checking Chinese companies’ credit records. However, since China’s Social Credit System is still developing, not all types of records can be found with Unified Social Credit Codes. Also, using Chinese government websites or databases can also be a challenge. If you have any problem in checking the information of any company in China, please feel free to contact us.