An Introduction to Permits & License Needed When Importing From China


Table of Contents

If you want to import certain products from China, you may have to get import permits or some other license first, otherwise your goods may be detained by the customs. This article will give you an idea of what licenses are required to import from China. Different countries may have different import regulations, here mainly talks about US, EU and Japan.


Import Permit

In general, if you want to import from China, permit is not necessary. But, if your cargo is worth more than $2500, you need to buy a Customs bond before cargo arriving. Besides, if you want to import wooden products you may need to get a pre-import approval for certain types and you can check it with the customs.

License or Certificate

Although import permit is not required for most products, many products are still subject to product regulations, safety standards, and documentation requirements. Following are some common required certificates.


The FDA’s primary focus is enforcement of the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act (FD&C), but the agency also enforces other laws, notably Section 361 of the Public Health Service Act, as well as associated regulations.


Applicable Product Category

  • Food
  • Drug
  • Comestics
  • Medical apparatus and instruments


The CPSC stands for Consumer Product Safety Commission. The main purpose is to supervise the safety of consumer products.


Applicable Product Category

  • Household appliances
  • Toys
  • Fireworks
  • Sports goods
  • Other consumer goods


Manufacturers and importers of children’s products must certify, in a written Children’s Product Certificate (CPC) based on test results from a CPSC-accepted laboratory, that their children’s products comply with applicable children’s product safety rules.

3 3

Applicable Product Category Applicable for all products aimed primarily at children aged 12 and under.


This certificate is required if electronic devices sold in the United States emit radiation below the limits set by the Federal Communications Commission.

4 3

Applicable Product Category

  • Electronic products
  • Computers and Accessories
  • Household appliances
  • Lamps and lanterns
  • Power tools, etc.


DOT is required for motor vehicles and their parts sold in the United States.

5 3

Applicable Product Category

  • Vehicles & spare parts
  • Aircraft & spare parts
  • Ships & spare parts


It is mainly to test and authenticate the safety performance of products.

6 2

Applicable Product Category

  • Communication tools
  • Electronic power tools
  • Household Appliance
  • Lamps and lanterns
  • Cables and Cords, etc.


Import Permit

Generally, products entering EU countries do not require import licences, except for certain sensitive products such as agricultural products, tobacco, weapons, etc., as well as products subject to quantitative restrictions (i.e. quotas). So if you are not sure whether the products you want to import need a license, you can go to customs to consult. However, an EORI (Economic Operators Registration and Identification) number is necessary before the arrival of your cargo.

7 2

License or Certificate

Although an import license is not required for all products, additional documentation is required for some products. Following are some certificates may needed.


It is certificate that indicates that the product is complied with European health, safety, and environmental protection standards for products sold within the European Economic. If your product needs to be sold in the EU area, then CE certificate is a must.

8 1

Applicable Product Category All products will be sold in EU.


Used to test for certain hazardous substances in electrical and electronic equipment. RoHS lists six hazardous substances, including Pb, Cd, Hg, Cr6+, PBDE, and PBB.

9 1

Applicable Product Category

  • Washing machines
  • Microwave oven
  • Audio and video products (i.e CD, DVD)
  • Digital products
  • Electronic toys and so on.


All chemical products imported into the EU are required to provide this certificate to ensure that the chemicals contained in the products are not harmful to humans and the environment.


Applicable Product Category

  • Clothing and textile products
  • Watches and Accessories
  • Cooker
  • Products containing pollutants such as heavy metals
  • Chemical products and so on.


GS certification is not mandatory, but because safety awareness has penetrated into ordinary consumers, a product with GS certification mark may have greater competitiveness in the market than ordinary products.


Applicable Product Category

  • Household appliances
  • Household machinery
  • Office equipment
  • Home electronics and so on.


Import Permit

An import license is not required for normal products.

License or Certificate


PSE is a mandatory safety certification in Japan, used to prove that electrical and electronic products have passed the Japanese Electrical product Safety Law.


Applicable Product Category

  • Electric wire
  • Transformer
  • Electric heating apparatus
  • Wiring Devices
  • Household appliances and so on.


JAS certification is a voluntary certification for organic products with Japanese agricultural standards, but organic food imported to the Japanese market must obtain JAS certificate.


Applicable Product Category

All organic products.


TELEC can be understood as Japan’s wireless certification, which is aimed at the management and control of radio equipment such as WIFI, BT and so on.


Applicable Product Category

  • Cell phone
  • Table computer
  • Bluetooth headset
  • Bluetooth speakers and so on.


In addition to obtaining the necessary permits & licenses, you need to keep the following tips in mind.

  1. If your supplier says they can provide the certificate you want, check in advance before the import begins.
  2. If you want to import branded goods, such as Nike shoes, then you need a brand license . Otherwise, your product will be regarded as counterfeit and detained by customs.
  3. Make sure the product you want is allowed to be imported, not on the banned list.
  4. If you are not sure whether your product needs permit licenses or not, you can consult the Customs authority, freight forwarders or relevant professionals.


If you are unable to provide the required permits and certificates, then you could suffer significant losses. Therefore, it is of great significance to know clearly before import. If you need any help with that, please contact us.

Related Articles
Need to conduct Due Diligence on a company in Mainland China?